Application Deadline for Summer Term: April 24; Fall Term: August 8th; Spring Term: January 3
The M.P.S. in Business of Art and Design (Online) program, Entrepreneurship track, is designed to support those who are seeking the skills needed to start, sustain, and/or grow an arts-related business, both recent graduates as well as students who have been out of school for several years. The program is designed primarily for visual artists, design professionals, architects, illustrators, musicians, actors, writers, craftspersons, performing artists, and supporters of the arts who are looking to gain business acumen, but it is open to all students who feel that this training and our program structure will benefit them.
The Product Management track seeks students who either are currently in product management roles but desire formal training, or designers looking to pivot into the field. Backgrounds in product design, user experience design, graphic design, or similar fields are particularly advantageous for students in this track.
Application Requirements & Procedures for the M.P.S. in Business of
Art and Design (Online)
*THE PORTFOLIO IS AN OPTIONAL, BUT IMPORTANT COMPONENT OF THE APPLICATION PACKAGE. WE ADMIT STUDENTS FROM A WIDE RANGE OF ACADEMIC AND PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUNDS, AND UTILIZE THE PORTFOLIO TO ASSESS THE APPLICANT’S ABILITY TO CREATE, SOLVE, AND PRODUCE. OFTEN, AN EXCEPTIONAL PORTFOLIO CAN OFFSET A LOWER G.P.A. OR LESS WORK EXPERIENCE. PLEASE NOTE WE DO NOT HAVE A SPECIFIC PORTFOLIO FORMAT IN MIND, AND ENCOURAGE APPLICANTS TO SUBMIT ANY AND ALL DELIVERABLES THAT DEMONSTRATE CREATIVITY, PROBLEM-SOLVING APTITUDE AND ATTENTION TO DETAIL IN A BUSINESS CONTEXT. THOSE WITHOUT A PORTFOLIO ARE STILL ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
- Graduate Admission Application Form: completed and submitted online via SlideRoom.
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume. The CV/Resume should provide the admissions committee with information about any professional/educational experiences or skills you have that provide insight into your preparation for a business-based graduate program.
- M.P.S. in the Business of Art and Design Statement of Purpose (500-700 words): Please provide a written statement regarding your interest in MICA’s Business of Art and Design (Online M.P.S.) program, and why now is the right time for you to undertake graduate study. What skills from your background have prepared you for this degree? If there is an element of your CV/resume or transcript that would benefit from additional context, please share how that factor would be mitigated during your time in this program; for instance, if you had a low GPA during your undergraduate degree, what makes you feel confident in greater academic success moving forward?
Business of Art and Design, Entrepreneurship Track: In particular, please indicate why you are interested in honing your entrepreneurial skills, and what you hope to gain from this degree.
Business of Art and Design, Product Management Track: In particular, please share what appeals to you about the field of product management as well as what you hope to gain from this degree.
- Transcripts: An official transcript from the institution that granted your most recent degree will be required of admitted students in order to matriculate. At the application review stage, though, a transcript (either unofficial or official) from EACH institution where you have earned credit is required to enable the admissions committee to effectively assess the candidate’s academic history and preparedness for this program. Our holistic review process, designed to accommodate all learners including those whose focus may have changed since college, relies more on the individual courses taken than a single metric such as GPA.
- Portfolio and Portfolio Narrative*: Candidates may submit up to 10 portfolio pieces (such as samples of your intended product or service, pitch decks, case studies, business plans, strategy documentation, etc.) that provide insight regarding business, marketing, financial, or other related proficiencies. Please include 1-2 sentences for each piece providing context about how it supports your candidacy for the Business of Art and Design (Online M.P.S.) program.
- $75 Application Fee: Payable via credit card during the application submission stage online.
- Additional Requirements for International Applicants: International candidates whose primary language is not English must demonstrate proficiency in both written and spoken English. Additionally, certified translations of all transcripts and school documentation must be provided. For additional information on international applicant requirements, please visit Information for International Graduate Applicants.